The cat is an animal that has desert origins, so it sometimes tends to drink too little, in fact in nature it assimilates most of the liquids it needs from its preys. However, in our homes, cats are often fed mainly with croquettes, and the cat drinks too little.
It is therefore very important to stimulate the cat to drink, to keep it hydrated, as for all living beings, and to help the kidneys to dispose of waste substances and to preserve the urinary tract from infections.
The cat prefers fresh water, and prefers running water, in fact even if we make available to him always clean bowls of water, he will often prefer to go and drink from a tap, or he will ask us (as mine do) to open the water from the bidet to comfortably drink.
It may therefore be a good idea to have a cat drinking fountain at home, let’s see how it works.
Drinking fountain for cats: how it works
Cat fountains are special bowls that allow the cat to always have fresh, running water available.
There are various shapes and sizes on the market, and consist of a bowl, preferably in steel or ceramic, connected to a pump and a tank, or to running water, so that fresh water always arrives in the bowl.
This cat drinker must be connected to the electricity so that the pump works and dispenses water into the bowl. In addition, an active carbon filter is often present to keep the water clean and to retain hair and food residues.
The filter also serves to retain limestone, which the cat would instead ingest if it drank from its bowl with still water.
The flow of the fountain is often adjustable.
I have not found valid models of fountains for battery-powered cats, so we will see some of them to be connected to the electric current.
The fountain for cats to prefer is the one that gurgles, as it attracts water to drink, but it is also silent.
It must also be easy to clean, because this keeps it functioning for a long time and we protect the health of the cat. The filter must be able to be replaced easily and not cost too much.
Prices of fountains for cats
The prices of this type of water dispenser for cats vary greatly depending on the model. It depends on whether the bowl is made of steel or plastic or plastic, if it is a battery-powered or current fountain, its size and other factors.
Prices can range from $ 25 to $ 80-150, in addition to the fountain, there is also a small charge for replacement filters, which are around € 5-10.
But what could be the best cat fountain for your needs? Let’s see some models, to understand a little better.
Ceramic cat fountain on Amazon
- Healthy Material and Easy to Clean - Tritone Cat Water Fountain is made of high-quality natural ceramic, eco-friendly, easy to clean and way better than plastic fountain.
- Dual Filtration System: Mechanical filtration with a foam filter surrounding the pump prevents pets’ hair and other debris from the pump and the tank. Chemical filtration with carbon and charcoal...
- Whisper-quiet Operation: The CE certificated IP68 pump runs with 2W low consumption. The only sound you may hear is the water dripping through the strainer into the bowl. Keep the water level above...
On Amazon I found this very interesting water trough, because it is a ceramic cat fountain.
Ceramic is much easier to clean, does not absorb odors and substances such as plastic, and can be washed very easily.
It is a very silent, low consumption water dispenser and the ceramic parts can be washed in the dishwasher.
PetSafe Drinkwell Pagoda
- Water Capacity: 70 Oz. Water Capacity Is Great For Cats And Small To Medium Sized Dogs
- Encourages Drinking: Dual Free Falling Streams Add Oxygen For Freshness And Encourage Pets To Drink More Water
- Filtered Water: Includes Replaceable Carbon Water Filter That Removes Bad Tastes And Odors, Keeping Water Fresh
Another model, this time entirely in ceramic, is the PetSafe Drinkwell Pagoda . It is easy to clean and can be put in the dishwasher. The cat can choose to drink in 3 different points: from the jet, from the slide to wave, or in the basin.
With the special long-life filter for long hair Lucky Kitty, it does not need a replacement filter. The water flow is adjustable and is silent.
The opinions and reviews on the Amazon of this ceramic cat fountain are positive: affected by low consumption, scrupulousness, and cats are very happy to use it!
Raindrop Drinking Fountain steel cat fountain
- Circulating drinking water is naturally appealing to your pet..Our customer service department at email@example.com or by calling 866-317-6278 in the US or 262-376-0768 outside of the USReplacement...
- Replaceable charcoal filter for clean and pure, healthy water
- Dishwasher safe, high grade stainless steel construction allows for easy cleaning, 60 oz capacity
A model called “luxury” of water dispenser for dogs and cats, this is the Raindrop Drinking Fountain from the US company Pioneer Pet. I was surprised to find it with 2 very different prices on Amazon and Zooplus.
In fact at this time (then it could change over time), on Amazon it costs $ 49.99.
This steel fountain for cats looks a bit like a spaceship, it is equipped with a replaceable filter, it has to be cleaned once a week, and it stimulates the cat to drink with its gurgle and is dishwasher safe. The customers’ opinions are positive, they are good, the fountain is hygienic, easily washable and silent.
Catit Flower fountain
- Cat fountain features 3 different water flow settings for picky drinkers and offers maximum oxygenation for fresher, better tasting cat water; the unique design filters water so that it always stays...
- Can hold up to 3L in the cat water bowl and takes up little floor space; dimensions are 9.0 x 8.3 x 7.7 inches
- Includes triple action softening cat water filter and small energy-efficient pump with power cord (if an extension cord is necessary, connection must be watertight and dust proof); made of BPA-free...
A model of a very cute cat fountain is this from the Catit, which does not cost much and also gives a little color to the water dispenser for our cat.
With 3 different flow settings, very compact, customer ratings are very good.
The best selling cat fountains on Amazon
Here is a list of the best selling cat fountains on Amazon
- Large capacity: Staying hydrated is the key to preventing kidney and urinary tract diseases. The 95oz capacity makes this pet fountain water dispenser a perfect fit for small to medium dog breeds and...
- High-quality: Made of food grade materials, this drinking fountain is BPA free, durable, and easy to operate and clean. The water-level window and LED Light let you observe how much water your pets...
- Two flow designs: The Veken Pet Fountain has 2 modes: flower waterfall (faucet drinking) and the gentle fountain. The water streaming down the petals of the flower on the fountain will draw your pets...
- 😽 【Quad Filtration System】The cat fountain is made of high-density cotton, coconut shell, activated carbon and ion exchange resin. It can filter out the impurities, remove the peculiar smell,...
- 😽 【2L Large Capacity】The 2L cat fountain is very suitable for small to medium-sized pets, without the need for frequent refilling of water. Even if you are on a business trip or traveling for...
- 😽 【Built-in LED light】 Built-in LED light and external translucent design, allowing you to monitor the water level at any time, without having to open the cat drinker each time to check if you...
- High grade stainless steel lid is unbreakable, durable and easy to clean. Stainless steel top is sanitary and dishwasher-safe.
- The pump is whisper-quiet and stays below 40 decibels. Low-voltage pump is reliable and easy to maintain. Transparent water level window with LED Light reminds you adding water in time during the day...
- The circulating filtration system uses a replaceable round filter to purify the water, remove dirt and food particles plus a pre-filter sponge to catch the hair and debris. The round filter is...