In addition to commercial pesticides for cats, which contain chemical active ingredients, there are on the market, or they can be made at home, some natural flea for cats.
This interest in the green side derives from a greater sensitivity towards the natural components of the products in general and, as regards natural pesticides for cats, from the growing attention to intolerances and allergies that they can manifest towards common anti-flea.
The latter are certainly effective and specially made to obtain a good insecticidal action, but, as is now known, fleas, ticks, larvae and parasites become progressively more resistant to the synthetic components of industrial devices.
We can then think of combining their use with natural repellents.
The evaluation of the veterinarian, the analysis of the clinical history of our cat, the housing conditions and the region to which they belong, are all factors that must be taken into consideration before throwing themselves headlong into do-it-yourself preparation or the purchase of a natural pesticide for cats, of which, let’s remember, it is good to read the label carefully to make sure that the components actually correspond.
Neem oil against fleas and ticks
The main substance that underlies many natural pesticides for cats is Neem oil.
This vegetable oil, although not an essential oil, is completely natural because it is obtained from the cold pressing of the seeds of Azadirachta Indica, a plant belonging to the Meliaceae family that grows in India and Burma.
Neem oil is an effective remedy against fleas, ticks, fungi, both at the adult and at the larva stage, thanks to the natural antioxidants it possesses and which exert a powerful antibacterial effect.
As such, Neem oil has emollient and soothing properties and its particular odor exerts a repellent action against parasites that try to take root on the hair and skin of our cats.
Pure or combined with other essential oils such as mint, lemongrass, eucalyptus, ginger, lavender and tea tree, Neem oil can be used for the preparation of natural fleas found in delivery systems similar to the classic ones.
- The soothing substances contained are unpleasant to insects.
- Once opened it is effective for up to 8 weeks and is water resistant.
- Suitable for all sizes
Also based on Neem oil, is found both in spray and spot on and has a variable cost.
- VET'S BEST FLEA AND TICK WIPES FOR DOGS & CATS kills fleas, flea eggs, and ticks by contact, without harsh chemicals. Repels mosquitoes, too!
- NATURAL FORMULA - Plant-based ingredients, including certified natural essential oils, peppermint oil and eugenol (from clove plants). Wipe material is free of unnatural plastic resins.
- CONVENIENCE AND EASE OF USE - Ultra-soft wipes allow for targeted application especially to sensitive areas, such as around the ears.
- 100% Natural Flea and Tick Repellent, for the Prevention and Control of Fleas, Ticks, and other Pests.
- Why Terra Pet Naturals? Because our spray actually works! There are many natural flea and tick sprays on the market made from essential oils. However, these products are mostly made up of water or...
- 8 oz. Value Size - Better Value than many of our competitors. Designed for Dogs, safe for horses and people too! Product contains all natural essential oils blended with apple cider vinegar. Also...
- KILLS & REPELS. This natural spray is proven to kill by contact, repel and prevent 98-100% of fleas, ticks and mosquitoes. It eliminates the entire pest life cycle, including eggs, larvae and adults.
- NO HARSH CHEMICALS. A safe alternative to collars, pills, chewables and drops that's naturally derived and just as effective.
- SAFE FOR DOGS & CATS. Gentle enough to use on small and senior pets weekly, yet powerful enough to fully eliminate pests on the skin.
Another slightly more expensive product, around 19 euros, is the Flyblock anti-parasite spray for cats: it contains the essential oils of Malaluca and Grapefruit and should be applied to the entire hair of the cat every 3 days during the periods of greatest exposure (spring and summer).
Homemade flea remedies
You can also prepare a lotion with Neem oil, diluted in warm water, to be spread on the body of our cat and sprayed on cassettes, pillows and blankets to sanitize them, or it can be used pure on the hair of the kitten and in the saucers of the plants that we can have at home or on the balcony.
You can interested in:
If our pet is particularly docile and not bothered by the smell of lemon peel or rosemary sprigs, you can soak them in boiling water and then use the infusion to bathe them.
In this case, the homemade pesticide for the cat will be more effective the more the cat will gradually become accustomed to this ritual.
Recalling that the effectiveness of natural pesticides for cats depends on the regularity and frequency of application, usually greater than the traditional ones, we can therefore, on the advice of the expert veterinarian, try to alternate them with the classic ones during the winter season, especially if our cats live mainly in the apartment.
Fennel is also an excellent antipollci, to be used at home if we have an infestation of fleas on sofas and blankets, it will be enough to rub it on the surfaces.
Other essential oils that are effective against fleas and parasites are lavender essential oil and eucalyptus essential oil.
- BEST QUALITY: Orchid and Temple's Lavender Essential Oil is pure, natural, therapeutic grade, undiluted, and bottled in the USA.
- ENDLESS USES: Has a calming scent that can be used in the bath, on your body, in a diffuser, in shampoo, during a massage, and so much more. Blend with a carrier oil when applied directly on your...
- HEALTH REMEDY: We use real extracts from the lavender plant. Use as an anxiety and stress reliever, sleep aid, for relaxing aromatherapy, to boost your mood, to treat headaches and acne.
A very effective remedy to eliminate fleas at home, especially if there are eggs in the tissues, is to spread sodium bicarbonates on our tissues, then brushing them off with a brush. Baking soda in fact helps to dry out and therefore to eliminate the eggs present between the bristles of the carpets and between the fibers of the fabrics, helping to eradicate these annoying pests.
Vacuum often, and help by inserting a teaspoon of baking soda into the vacuum cleaner bag, to eliminate the problem of fleas as much as possible.
Do you have experience with homemade antipersands? If you want to share your advice, write your own recipes in the comments!